WhatsApp has introduced many new features for its users. One such feature is the ability to delete unwanted messages or messages sent by mistake. At present, users can delete such messages within 68 minutes. The Meta-owned instant messaging app is now extending this deadline to 2 days. Announcing the new time limit via a post on Twitter, the company wrote, “Rethinking your message? Now you’ll have a little over 2 days to delete your messages from your chats after you hit send.”
The time limit to delete WhatsApp messages has been increased
Actually, WhatsApp users will have 2 days and 12 hours to delete their messages. Users can delete messages just for themselves or request that messages be deleted for everyone. Deleting messages for everyone allows the deletion of specific messages sent to an individual or group chat. When deleting messages for yourself they are simply removed from the user’s device. This has no effect on your recipients’ chats. Your recipients will still see the messages on their chat screen.
Here’s how to delete messages on WhatsApp
- Open WhatsApp and go to the chat that contains the message you want to delete.
- Tap and hold the message you want to delete. You can select more messages to delete multiple messages at once.
- Now, tap on Delete and then select Delete for me or Delete for everyone.
There are a few things you need to know before deleting a message on WhatsApp:
- In order to successfully delete messages for everyone, you and the recipients must be using the latest version of WhatsApp.
- Recipients can still see your message before it is deleted or if the deletion was not successful.
- You will not be notified if the deletion for everyone is not successful.
- If recipients are using WhatsApp on iOS then they can still have the media you send them saved in their photos, even if the message has been deleted from the WhatsApp chat.
Meanwhile, WhatsApp has started rolling out the status reaction functionality for some beta users on the iPhone. This feature allows users to react to WhatsApp status using 8 different emojis.